We are really aware of the balance between using printed materials to encourage literacy and motivate readers and the sustainable use of energy and resources.
As a writer of printed books, I am especially conscious of how much paper (and energy) this uses. We are committed to trying to reduce, reuse and recycle in our work practices:
- 95% of my journeys to visit UK schools and libraries each year have always been by public transport.
- My books published by Puffin and Collins Big Cat are printed on Forest Stewardship Council certified paper.
- My books published by SPCK are produced on paper from sustainable forests.
- Wherever possible we reuse and recycle packaging materials to send information to schools
- I am pleased to have been asked to sign the International Declaration on the Future of the Arctic.
My concerns for the environment inspired me to write White Fear.
The Squad have been summoned to the deadly and frozen land of the Arctic Circle by the British Prime Minister who has heard of their growing reputation as brilliant young spies.
An unknown criminal is trying to hijack a world conference about the precious and much fought-over fuels that lie below the arctic ice.
To prevent an international war breaking out, Lily, Lesh, Hatty, Adnan and Kester go undercover to find out who it is and stop them.
- I am very proud of the story I was asked to write for Incredible Edible – who are working together for a world where we all share responsibility for the future wellbeing of our planet and ourselves.
Read a pdf version of this special story, illustrated by Juliet Breese here.
- We annually offset our CO2 emissions through verified carbon reduction projects and the planting of trees in Yorkshire & Humber, UK .
We are always trying to do better so suggestions are always welcome.