Awards Latest …
I am absolutely thrilled to be awarded the Ruth Rendell Award for Services to Literacy by the National Literacy Trust. Thanks very much to the teachers who nominated me.
2020 & 2021 awards
D-Day Dog has just been shortlisted for the 2020 Grampian Children’s Book Award, the Cheshire Schools Book Award 2020, the Cumbria Schools’ Library Service Primary Spellbinding shortlist and the Nottinghamshire ELS Brilliant Book Award longlist. I wish all the children across Moray, Aberdeenshire and Aberdeen City and throughout Cheshire, Cumbria and Nottinghamshire a very happy time reading all the books and choosing their favourites!
“Thank you for an amazing event this morning. The year 5-7 boys really enjoyed it and were really engaged in both sessions. They were very excited about the visit and were very inspired by Tom’s stories and fantastic books. Best of luck for the Carnegie awards, very well deserved!” Newcastle School for Boys
I am thrilled that Armistice Runner has just won the older readers category prize at the FCBG Children’s Book Awards!!
Currently, Armistice Runner is on the :
- THE CILIP CARNEGIE MEDAL
Nominations for 2020
- shortlist for Shrewsbury Big Book Award 2020
- shortlist for Essex SLS Junior Book Awards for 2019
- shortlist for Lancashire Fantastic Book Awards 2019-2020
- shortlist for Derbyshire Schools’ Book Award 2020
- shortlist for the Nottinghamshire ELS Brilliant Book Award
- longlist for the UKLA Book Awards 2020
- longlist for the Steel City Book Club Awards 2020
- longlist for Bury Grammar School Book Award 2020
- longlist for Cumbria Schools’ Library Service Secondary Spellbinding 2020 book award
This year Armistice Runner thanks to more childrens’ votes has won:
- the Cheshire Schools Book Award
- the KS3 James Reckitt Hull Children’s Book Award 2019
- the Tees Valley TVED Book of the Year 2019
and has been :
- reviewed for The Historical Association’s Young Quill Award
- shortlisted for the Year 5 Portsmouth Book Award 2019
- recommended on Book Trust’s
#MyBookbuzz programme list 2019
- recommended on Books for Topics 50 reads for Year 5
And former UK Literacy Association President, Teresa Cremin, chose Armistice Runner as her Book of the Year for 2018.
- reviewed for the North Somerset Teacher’s Book Award here.
- selected for Toppsta’s Summer Reading Guide
Defenders 1: Killing Ground is long listed for :
- the Grampian Children’s Book Award.
- the 2018 Leicester Libraries Our Best Book Award!
- a finalist for the Coventry Inspiration Book Award 2016!
- is selected for the Scottish First Minister’s Reading Challenge
Over the Line is :
- selected for the Recommended Reads list in the Historical fiction category for Read for My School
- longlisted for the 2015 Portsmouth Book Award
- shortlisted for the Lancashire Book of the Year Award
Ghost Stadium is awarded the Birmingham Catholic Diocese Schools Book Award.
Foul Play is chosen as one the 100 readformyschool titles.
Over the Line is chosen as Exeter’s City Read for the year.
The Squad : Black Op wins the Solihull Children’s Book Award thanks to voting by children in the borough’s schools and is shortlisted for the Leicester Libraries Our Best Book Award
Secret FC is selected by the Book Trust for inclusion in their School Library Pack! Around 4000 English schools will received the pack funded by the Department of Education, as a way to encourage reading with the students.
The Secret Football Club is longlisted for The Fantastic Book Awards (F.B.A), organised by Lancashire School Library Service
Foul Play 5 : Own Goal is longlisted for Red House Children’s Book Award for Younger Readers
Scrum! is shortlisted for Sheffield Children’s Book Award
Foul Play 4 : Killer Pass longlisted for Doncaster Book Award
Foul Play 3 : Offside shortlisted for Calderdale Children’s Book of the Year Awards
Foul Play is shortlisted for Stockton Children’s Book of the Year
Emily Palmer (no relation!) from St Michaels RC School was the winner in the Highly Commended category for her review of Foul Play by Tom Palmer.
Foul Play shortlisted for Calderdale Book of the Year Primary Section
Foul Play 2 : Dead Ball shortlisted for Rotherham Children’s Book Award
Football Academy 1 : Boys United shortlisted for Doncaster Book Award
Football Academy 3 : The Real Thing longlisted for The Fantastic Book Awards (F.B.A), organised by Lancashire School Library Service
Foul Play chosen for Booked Up
Foul Play shortlisted for Blue Peter Book Award
2013 The Squad : White Fear listed in Chris Bradford’s “Top 5 books Every Child Should Read Before They’re 12″
2013 Scrum! listed as one of New Zealand School Librarian Ali Hewett’s “100 Great Books Before Lunch”
2013 Ghost Stadium is nominated one of the “Ten of the Best Books to Make Reading Irresistible” by Marilyn Brocklehurst from Norfolk Children’s Book Centre.
Marilyn said, “This book allows you to access a great story and at the same time offers the opportunity to read more fluently. Tom Palmer is a champion for reluctant readers and works tirelessly to attract children – and particularly boys – to pick up a book. Ghost Stadium is thrilling from the very first paragraph. The combination of Tom and Barrington Stoke is perfect since this publisher has provided an excellent range of books to encourage children who are reluctant readers simply because they struggle with the practicalities of reading.”