In 2014, to celebrate the two weeks running up to the Tour de France beginning in Leeds, I cycled to all the libraries across Leeds. I wanted to talk to children about how libraries changed my life and to read a children’s story that I had written to celebrate what libraries can do for us.
Download the read aloud Tour de France story
That’s what this tour is about.
Inspiring children and families to use them to find their own headwinds.
We’ve produced a pack of literacy activities that we hope you use during Le Grand Dēpart and the Tour de France to encourage your pupils to read for pleasure and enjoy using their public libraries.
Download your Tour de Leeds Libraries pack
I am delighted that Otley-born Silver Olympic cyclist Lizzie Armitstead has generously supported us with her Reading Chat poster. I hope we will inspire girls and boys to see themselves as readers.
This tour has been funded by Leeds Inspired and the pack by Europe Direct Leeds in partnership with the fantastic Leeds School Library Service.
Your Tour de Leeds Libraries pack includes
- Le Grand Dēpart Reading Comprehension
- Setting a story in Leeds
- Writing a story is like riding a bike
- Reading safety
- English – French speaking aloud activity
- Lizzie Armitstead’s Reading Chat Poster
- Our Reading Chat – a template to make your own posters
- Bike Wheel Book Review – a template for younger readers
- Yellow Jersey Book Review – a template for older readers
- Library Treasure Hunt